These turned out better than I hoped… and believe me, I was worried.
End result: They took about 8 hours to make (perhaps this could be sped up with experience with the pattern).
For felting, I have a top loading high efficiency washer…. with no agitator in the middle….
So it was absolutely a brand new challenge trying to get these $%#%^ing slippers to felt :)
I tried two loads in the washer – barely felted. The next step came when I was sitting the kitchen fuming over the non-felt and trying to figure out what to do in such little time when I looked at my kitchenaid mixer, and just like in the cartoons, a light bulb lit over my head. ::Ding!:: Hot water! Agitation!… I don’t know what makes me think some things could possibly work out, but I’m generally an adventurous person and willing to try new things….
It was VERY wet – water sloshed and splashed everywhere – and I nearly broke my mixer!In the end, I actually got the damn things to felt. Just the straps at this point though, because only they fit into the bowl without jamming the mixer!
Tip: Don’t walk away from themixer if you try this yourself… and keep it on the low setting….
Or really, don’t try to felt in a mixer!
I ended up felting the rest of the slippers in the dryer – voila. I put them in a bag at high heat and re-wet and molded them every five minutes or so until they fit my feet without falling off.
What an experience :)
Eat. KNIT. Run. Blog.